Senior Living Options at Chartwell
Are you exploring retirement living options for yourself or a loved one, but you’re unsure if any of the seniors’ communities in your area offer the lifestyle or care services you need to feel healthy, happy, and fulfilled each day?
At Chartwell, we offer a variety of senior living options that cater to a wide spectrum of needs, preferences, and abilities for today’s seniors—from seniors’ rental apartments and independent living services, to assisted living and memory care lifestyles. As we’re the largest Canadian operator of retirement residences in the country, we provide the most choice and flexibility when it comes to finding your next home, both in terms of the care services and accommodation types we offer, as well as the number of neighbourhoods you can find us in.
We know every person is unique, which is why our Retirement Living Consultants are here to help you and your loved ones find the ideal Chartwell residence that matches what you’re looking for in your next chapter of life. As experts in the aging care industry, we can also help you navigate the healthcare system in your province, educating you on your options and guiding you every step of the way so you feel confident and supported during your search.
If you’re still conducting some initial research and not quite ready to get in touch, we are here when you need us. Below you’ll find some brief explanations of the living options available in Chartwell retirement residences. We have retirement homes in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and British Columbia.
Click your province name now to learn more
Senior Apartment Living
We so often hear, “why would I consider a retirement community if I don’t need care?” The answer is easy: because you may be ready to simplify your life by downsizing from a house that comes with accessibility challenges or burdensome chores like lawn care, shoveling, costly repairs, cleaning, and more. Or perhaps instead of a traditional condo or rental complex for all ages, you’d like to:
- Live amongst a community of peers that feels safe and quiet
- Enjoy optional opportunities for casual socialization
- Participate in senior-focused fitness classes and events
- Take advantage of great on-site amenities
There’s also peace of mind knowing staff and neighbours are around if and when you need them—both accessible at night, in the event of an emergency, or simply when you feel like being in the company of others.
These are just a few of the benefits of senior apartment living at Chartwell. A unique offering for independent older adults who value their freedom and do not require care, you can elect to receive services like:
- À la carte meals
- Transportation services
- And more depending on the Chartwell residence
Our rental apartments are available in a variety of sizes and layouts—from studios to two-bedrooms—and some of our retirement homes also have independent seniors’ townhomes or bungalows on-site.
Another advantage of choosing senior apartment living at Chartwell? If your needs change in future, you’ll be able to opt into more services and care options in our retirement residence, delivered by the staff you already know and trust—thus avoiding the need for another big move in future.
Who would be the right fit for independent living in a Chartwell retirement community? This living option truly has something for everyone, catering to a range of varying needs for seniors. If you would benefit from some additional support to lead you best retirement years, independent living offers many valuable services that can make your or a loved one’s life better. That’s because the lifestyle provides:
- An engaging social life
- Friendly staff support
- A sense of personal safety and security
To begin, many of our independent living residents benefit from the following services as part of their rental packages:
- Delicious daily meals for their convenience and nutritional needs
- Freshly prepared snacks and hot beverages available throughout the day in on-site bistros or cafés
- Linen or laundry services to make life worry-free
Most retirement residences offer transportation services for appointments, or shuttle service for outings in their local community. Then there’s the enriching variety of optional activities, fitness classes, clubs, or events that provide opportunities to socialize, stay fit, express creativity, or simply be entertained. Perhaps most appreciated is the peace of mind that comes from having:
- Access to staff 24/7
- Call-bell systems or personal response pendants to get in touch with staff day or night
- Security systems
Flexible care services available to independent living residents
In some provinces, independent living also means access to flexible, in-house care services that can be tailored to your individual lifestyle. Each retirement residence offers a distinct mix of available care services that you can add or remove from your package, such as:
- Medication management
- Assistance with your morning or evening routine, like dressing or bathing
- Oxygen services
- Pharmacy services
- Access to visiting professionals like doctors, physiotherapists, foot care clinics, and blood pressure clinics
This empowers you to customize a care plan that represents what the right level of support looks like for you, allowing you to comfortably age in place.
If you or a loved one need significant daily assistance to lead each day in comfort and with the quality of life you deserve, our assisted living services may be the best fit for your lifestyle. Assisted living can look different from province to province regarding the level of care provided, as well as the accommodation found within a retirement residence. For example, some Chartwell residences have dedicated neighbourhoods or floors where assisted living residents can benefit from specialized dining, activities, and amenities. Regardless, assisted living services generally come as an all-inclusive package that can be customized or added to in order to reflect your or a loved one's unique needs, preferences, and abilities. Expect the following:
- Three delicious and nutritious meals a day
- Housekeeping and laundry
- Emergency response
- Access to enriching activities and on-site amenities
- A comprehensive list of care services geared to supporting moderate-to-high care needs and mobility challenges
Rest assured, our Health & Wellness Managers will partner with you to create a personalized care plan specific to your lifestyle and will regularly review it with you to ensure we are safely meeting your health care needs, both now and in the future. As a result, you’ll experience peace of mind that our caring and trained staff are here to support you with whatever you need, allowing you to focus on the people and pursuits that bring you happiness.
Are there advantages to moving into a retirement residence that offers assisted living, even if you or a loved one aren’t at the stage of needing that much support? Yes—the benefit of choosing a retirement home offering a continuum of care is that as your needs evolve, you won’t have to relocate to a new residence in order to receive the care services that will help you feel your best each day.
Want to learn more about the benefits of assisted living at Chartwell? Read our blog for five key advantages you may want to consider for you or a loved one.
If you have recently been experiencing cognitive challenges or you have a loved one living with dementia—whether it be an aging parent, friend, or spouse—Chartwell’s memory care services can help you live a good day, every day, while supporting loved ones in your caregiving circle too.
We’re proud that we take a person-centred approach to memory care at Chartwell. What does that mean?
- We see the person first, not the disease, focusing on the unique experience of each new resident as they navigate cognitive loss.
- We support this philosophy by training our memory care staff on what it feels like to live with dementia, including how to better communicate with and understand the personal expressions of our residents.
- Staff spend time learning the personal history of new residents, their likes and dislikes, and what brings them joy and purpose, forging trusted connections that help residents feel more comfortable and at ease.
In addition, seniors who choose one of our secure assisted living neighbourhoods to call home also benefit from:
- High staff-to-resident ratios
- Specialized dining and activities
- Housekeeping and room refreshes
- A range of valuable memory care services like assistance with daily routines, cueing assistance, an escort to meals and activities, medication management, and much more
Chartwell’s Memory Living Program
Some of our retirement residences also offer dedicated Memory Living neighbourhoods that have been specially designed to elevate the experience of our residents living with dementia. Unique features of the program include:
- Secure and interactive environments with 24-hour supervision
- Access to secure outdoor space
- Family-style dining
- Flexible daily routines that balance structure with spontaneity
- Dedicated Memory Living Managers and Social Workers who support the families of residents living with cognitive challenges
Click on your province of residence above to discover if our Memory Living program is available at a Chartwell retirement community near you.